Friday, March 6, 2009

Stare Hard: But be careful not to trip.


So here I go again, but this was too funny and enlightening not to share!

The interesting thing about this whole Skin Cancer experience is what I have learned about myself. If you regularly read this blog, you are aware of my weight woes (which I am working on), I have those days where I think "I am so huge, I bet people are looking at me thinking what a big girl I am." I seriously have thought this from time to time when I am having a particular tough day.

My obvious over-inflated opinion of myself was knocked of it's rocker this past week or so with my temporary "scar face." Man, can people stare! They can't help themselves but gawk at me!

I am getting some of the most jaw dropping stares at my face that you can imagine, and everyone is so nice to me, perfect strangers open doors and give me serious "pity" looks. I must look worse than I thought.

My nephew was baptised last Saturday and during the confirmation I opened my eyes to "shush," my son and startled several people who's jaws were dropped staring at me during the prayer. It was actually hilarious!

My latest favorite was yesterday when I went to pick up my son after work from a neighbors and while I was waiting for him to gather his things, a neighbor I am not very acquainted with walked by, looked at me, pulled his sunglasses off and looked again, and then tripped over the sidewalk! I chuckled under my breath as he caught himself and then tried to act cool, calm and collected. What a way to stop him in his tracks!

My lessons learned; No most people are really not staring at me, ever and now I know the difference, and yes, I plan on trying even harder not to stare at people who are different whether they have a permanent ailment or temporary.

I thank the Lord, for this experience, I am sufficiently humbled.

1 comment:

Vayle said...

Yikes! People can be so rude!