Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Austin Quinton Jones 1986 -2010




It's been a sad week around here as we learned on Saturday morning of the passing of my cousin Austin Jones. He was 24 years old. His Dad died almost ten years ago in the fall at the age of 41. Seems like too much grief for one family to bear, yet they trudge on, their testimonies strengthen and they rejoice in the day when they are together again. Austin has had a hard ten years fighting his own demons. I am grateful he is now free of those demons and is at peace and with his Dad.


There was a time that I thought if a tragic death were to happen in my life, I may not return to church or question my faith so much that I would not believe in the hereafter. I know now that if I did this, it would only be to my detriment and I would be in much worse shape than increasing my faith and testimony. I have watched several close to me this past year suffer tragic death in their lives. Each time they have increased their faith and testimony and the Lord has poured out his tender mercies upon their lives. The pain is still there and a lot of hard days…….But the "sting" of death that I have watched envelope and paralyze others who did not know the surety of the plan of salvation and forever families, is not there. God is waiting to comfort and carry you through dark hours such as these if you are open to receive his love.


Austin was a cutie pie as a kid, he was 10 years younger than me and I remember vividly when he was a toddler and lived in Bountiful for a time. He always had a trick up his sleeve and a grin on his face that always told you he was up to something mischievous. Even then his capacity to love others was prevalent. When Scot and Katie were fed up with their older sister Holley and she ended up crying, Austin would be the one to comfort her and try to bring people together. He was always genuine and generous with his love.


Although I did not know him much as an adult, I imagine he was still a peacemaker and kind to all. He is like his Dad in that way. Uncle Scott treated everyone the same whoever they were. He didn't care if they were a bum on the street or the Prince of England. Everyone was respected and treat with dignity and kindness.


I've lost three first cousins in my lifetime and one even before I was born. I've lost two uncles, an aunt, both grandmother's and my dear Grandpa Reuben. I've lost dear friends in tragic circumstance. As much as death still frightens me to some degree, I have a greater understanding that it is a part of life and one we all must face in one capacity or another.


So I try everyday to live life without regret. To do all I can to resolve conflicts and differences and make peace with those who are willing. I want at the conclusion of my life to be able to stand with the Savior and for him to say: "Well done thou good and faithful servant" and to be able to receive all the blessings as promised of living a good life. I hope to see you all there too!


You can read Austin's obituary here.

No comments: