Sunday, October 3, 2010

Listening to God's word while enjoying God's creations




For those of you who are active members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the first weekend in October we do not have church, ever. Instead we listen to inspirational talks and music from the leaders of our church. Prophets, Apostles and so forth. There are five sessions; four of those sessions are for everyone. One session that is not for everyone is for the men and boys 12 and over in the church. That session is held on Saturday night. Each of the five sessions is about two hours in length with two hours of a break in-between.

I look forward to this every six months. This gives me time to reevaluate the person I am, the person I want to be, and to seek help and inspiration in my quest to be the best me I can be.

For the last session on Sunday afternoon, we decided to pack up a picnic lunch, grab our radio, and head up to Snowbasin Ski Resort which is a short 25 minute drive from our doorstep. We invited my mom and dad to come with us and ended up being a fantastic outing. We had sandwiches and listened to the words of the prophets in the middle of one of God's amazing works of art. If you have not been up to Snowbasin and you live in Utah, you won't be disappointed in the drive. The splendor of the colors of autumn that cascades around us seemed only fitting for the wonderful messages we are receiving.

I adore fall! In fact, I feel really cheated if I have not driven up here every year to see the splendor of colors. The gorgeous yellows of the quaking aspen, the Reds mixed with a hint of green, and the deep oranges. It's as if it is God's canvas and he paints masterpiece every fall and we get to drink it in. Just call me a Mountain Mama and I'll be happy with that title.

Jake talking his Grandpa Clark's ear off.  They are bosom buddies.

Jake and Grandpa went exploring.


Off they go!
This was our picnic spot!  It was gorgeous!
A look at the gondolla.  I have been up this gondolla several times to the Needles Lodge.  Super yummy food and a spectacular view.
I turn my head for a moment and Jake had climbed on top of this bear!
We decided to head through Ogden Canyon on the way home. The music from "Dances with Wolves" accompanied the scenery. 
More Ogden Canyon Splendor
Ogden River

Waterfall at the mouth of the Canyon.  I took it in a moving car, that is why it is blurry. Fabulous afternnoon!


No comments: