Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Feliz Navidad

I volunteered to purchase and decorate the Charter School Christmas Tree at  North Davis Preparatory Academy. All 12 FEET of it!

We are required as charter school parents to volunteer 30 hours a school year. Since I have no idea what 2011 will bring regarding our adoption, I knew I could get a bunch of hours by doing this.  The vice principal wanted a Spanish theme since we are a International Spanish Academy.  She also wanted all the decorations to be the same color's  as Spain's flag.

In my research I learned that the three wisemen are celebrated there like we celebrate Santa Claus here.  They are on tree's and adorn street decorations, everything. And they don't disperse presents until after Christmas, symbolizing the coming of the three wiseman to visit Jesus after he was born.  Since we are technically a public charter school, we tread on dangerous ground putting too much emphasis on religion.

So, I stuck with the glittery colors and did my best to make things look "Spanish".  I was pretty proud of my work on a shoe string budget, but the it was obviously not what the vice principal had in mind even though she approved and saw all the decorations before I bought them.  Oh well, you can't win them all!  Below is the tree:
 
The ornament balls had a nice mosaic look to them.
Note:  I was smart this time and decorated the top piece of the tree before I stuck in altogether. It had to be tweaked a bit once it was on, but MUCH easier than decorating it on a 12 ft ladder.

See the gigantic Spanish roses?? They are my favorite.
The tree received TONS of compliments, just not to the liking of the VP.  I think it's pretty darn cute for a public school tree!

No comments: